Re: OT-Bio Mary

The usual plant referred to as a black iris is the species iris chrysographes. It is almost always grown from seed and if you recieved these as seedlings and not divisions that is probably what you have. It loves a great deal of moisture especially in the spring and rquires an acid soil like your azaleas. If chrysographes is your iris liming it could kill it.  If you recieved a bearded Iris usually passed around by division of the fat rhizomes then it would love the lime. both types of Iris prefer full sun to bloom well but chrysographes can't dry out if it has the full sun.

Mdaniell2@aol.com wrote:Good afternoon,
This novice needs help with Irises!
I have a large flower and vegetable garden that I enjoy. But have never had
luck with Irises. Discovered this site in my quest for information. I have
many green "swords" all over my garden but no stems for the flowers. The
leaves
are healthy but only 6-8 inches tall.
A friend had given me these plants and said they were "black irises ". I
planted a year or two ago, She also stated that they hate nitrogen/mircle grow
so I
have not fertilized them. My soil is acid sandy loam/ my roses, daylillies
and azaleas love it! Do they need lime? fertilizer? Or just time?