Re: Displaying Flowers -additive to water??

The point of additives is to:

1. prevent the formation of bacteria that will clog the "arteries" of the stalk preventing water from being taken up.
2. provide some food for the plant (less important)

Most commercial additives have some form of citric acid (or similar) to retard bacterial growth. and some form of sucrose.

asprin is an acidic compound
7-up, sprite etc have some citrus flavoring in them (thus some acid)
1T Clorox per gal also inhibits bacteria.

Another good idea is to cut an inch off the stem every other day.

John