SHOW: Cut Flowers: Water Requirements

In a message dated 5/1/2007 8:40:22 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jijones@usjoneses.com writes:

<<The point of additives is to:

1. prevent the   formation of bacteria that will clog the "arteries"
of the stalk  preventing water from being taken up.
2. provide some food for the plant  (less important)>>

John Jones, who wrote the above, was also the source of some of  the more
useful sounding information on the subject of floral  preservatives in the
I have a question:
Impressionistically speaking, how much water do the various sorts  of irises
actually drink after cutting?
The reason I ask is I have a dim memory of someone whose name I won't
mention, although you'd all certainly recognize it, saying something to  the effect
that bearded irises won't drink much after cutting so that the  inch of water
they had in a bucket of blooms that was being  transported for show was
entirely adequate.
There has been a lot of talk about transporting stalks in water over  the
years and this conversation has come to my mind each time the subject has  come
Of course, there is arguably a difference between mounting a  temporary
display for show and conditioning cut irises in the house, or  for making a gift of
same, but presumptively one would like the  stalk to run its natural course,
developing all or most of the buds,  etc. in any case. Assuming it has not
gotten real beat up.
Anybody know anything?
Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA
Jamestown Expedition and Settlement Quadricentennial May, 1607- May,  2007
"At one time...it was all Virginia."