HYB: Linda's "Exciting Pink" and Seasonal Thoughts

In a message dated 5/3/2007 1:26:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
lmann@lock-net.com writes:

<<Not open yet.  Deep pink in bud from MISSOURI MIST X  pale pink: (BEHOLD

What I'd hoped for,  but didn't really expect to get.>>
Are you going to tell us what happened? Is it open? Did it eventuate  into
anything interesting, or pretty? Are you delighted beyond speech? I did  not see
anything in the Photos archives. Did I just miss it?
I may gravitate hypnotically toward tailored art shades, but I do  like me a
pretty modern pink, too. That said, did it have a tolerable  odor? Some pinks
do not. OVATION as I grew it could make your eyes  water in a closed room. It
utterly put my boxwoods to shame.
I've got bloom on some bearded historics now, but whereas the  blossoms are
all normally configured, it looks to me like they are  running on the small
side, and the diploid stems look thinner. There  is not much snaking or
collapsing, although several stalks are keeling  over: a combination of several days of
wind with gusts to  25, a good soaking rain following a burst of heat, and
having  been reset late last season... I guess.
One of the leaners is the magnificent claret that Phil Edinger and I  both
found --meaning it was on both USA coasts-- and he has firmly  identified as
VOLTIGEUR, a Cayeux from 1934. It looks like  a much classier INDIAN CHIEF, and
grows beautifully. Superb  iris.
Henry and I made a shunpike excursion up to Charlottesville  Saturday to play
in some nurseries and used book stores. The weather  was what the Irish call
"soft," meaning cool and misty, and all  the farm irises looked just fine. I
was rather surprised, frankly,  since there is an area midway which is solidly,
if erratically, zone  6, and they have seen some odd weather this season. The
farm roses looked  good as well, including that snowball viburnum they call
the Guelder  rose. I don't know which one it is. The floral arranging crowd
around  here use it with native columbine when it is in its chartreuse  pompom
"PomPom" might be a name for that double bearded seedling now  appearing on
Photos, although I personally prefer "Wooly Bully". Wonder  if it has been
used...that might not go over too well, though; there was  some talk about that
song... I forget just why. "Twirling Tassels" could  be good, too, but you know
that wouldn't float. Heh.
Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA  Zone 7
Jamestown Expedition and Settlement Quadricentennial May,1607- May,  2007
"At one time...it was all Virginia."