Sounds familiar. I also can't seem to quit attempting crosses in spite of being buried in unplanted seedlings from this year plus last year.

I don't do plic crosses either, mostly because I don't like them much, but did attempt a cross of MAGIC HAPPENS pollen on a tough yellow-tan streaked with a bit of purple from DESERT REALM X SUNDAY SUNSHINE.

I'm not even sure both of those are plicata, but from what Chuck has posted, I think they both come from plic background.

Am hoping the seedlings might help me understand more about plic genetics, but probably will just confuse me more!

A little late in reading my mail as I am busy in the garden and then too pooped to pop.  I germinated way too many seeds and as a result I have 1200 daylily seedlings and 200 iris seedlings planted about 3 miles away and 100 iris planted next door.  This did not stop me from pollinating this spring though.  I had very few takes except for MICHIGAN PRIDE which formed 3 fat bee pods.  I never use plicatas in hybridizing as I don't really understand the genetics involved.
Barbara Null
Tyler, TX  zone 7b/8a

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8