Re: Beards on standards?

  Shame on you.  You are supposed to automatically send all seedlings with any flat traits to me.- this is supposed to be very tounge in cheek.
  Beards on standards often go with a tendency to go flat or produce flats.  A breeder named Tuller in the 60's was working with at least one seedling with 6 beards.  I wouldn't know how those pedigrees relate to the type of breeding you are doing.
  If you look in the online checklist and search for 'beards' or even 6 inside parenthesis you might find more specific information.  I keep forgetting to get myself back on that thing...

pharcher@mindspring.com wrote:
  Does anyone know of any cultivars that have beards on the insides of the standards?

I know the Regelia arils have sparse beards one the standards and perhaps some of their hybrids do as well.

I have had one TB seedling I kept that does and did some crosses with it this year and apparently it is pod fertile. The beards on the standards are narrower but proportionally normal and all flowers are normal as well.

The crosses I did were with pollen parents that have distinctively colored, thick and wide beards and overall modern, better-than average form. With enough line breeding and seedlings it might be possible to extend the range of the these secondary beards as well as thicken them up.

I thought this trait might be an added bonus in a line of Miniature TB's (6-16" and tetrapolid) that I'm working on . They would be short enough that one could look from the top of the flower and see the secondary beards for an added color punch.

Paul Archer
Raleigh, NC Zone 8