CULT: HIST: What is PBF?

In a message dated 5/12/2007 4:41:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
inanda1@mts.net writes:

Mine is  growing well .  Can somebody tell me if it is a PBF.  New  for  me
last
year.  Thought it was PBF but mine  isn't!!!!

Greetings.

It occurs to me that it is possible that some folks here may be new to  this
terminology. What we are taling about is "Purple Based Foliage."

PBF, so called, is foliage of bearded--and in some cases  beardless--irises
which is naturally stained violet to some degree at some time  in the growing
cycle. The effect may be strong or faint, it may be fugitive, it  may infuse
the foliage and stalk to a remarkable degree, or  merely veil the increase at
the base of the rhizome.

People in HIPS, the Historic Iris Preservation Society, who are interested
in the identification of Unknows, which are older cultivars which have  become
separated from their true names, are very interested in PBF as a
discriminator. Because PBF does not always show in all conditions, the  presence of the
coloration should be seen as more significant for identification  purposes than
its apparent absence. Any degree of violet  manifesting at any time in the
growth cycle, counts as  PBF.

Phil Edinger, of HIPS, who has made a special study of the identification  of
Unknowns is, so far as I am aware, the originator of the concept of PBF as
such. He was not, of course, the first to note the staining on the bases of
some cultivars.

Cordially,

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA
Jamestown Expedition and Settlement Quadricentennial May, 1607- May,  2007
"At one time...it was all Virginia."