Re: Re: CULT: TB Argus Pheasant

Lee,

Given the variability of expression of pbf that occurs
in many irises, I don't think that your observation of
a faint trace of it on the leaves of your ARGUS
PHEASANT could be considered positive proof that it
was mislabelled, especially since an unusually high
percentage of Fred DeForest's introductions do show
pbf, so the genes for it must have been very widely
distributed in his breeding lines.

My advice would be that you study all the
characteristics of your AP, particularly when it
blooms for you, to determine if you have the genuine
article. Incidentally, for me at least, AP proved to
be a particularly weak grower with scant increase and
undependable bloom, although it has one of the most
attractively toned blooms of any of the brown irises
I have grown.

--- Lee Mincy <lmincy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Jeff, Do you think that my climate may be the reason
> mine shows just a trace of PBF or can I be certain
> that I am growing an unknown? I am sure when I
> received the rhizome last July that it did not have
> PBF. It was only after reading this that I went to
> check it and could just make out the PBF. Nobody
> with just a casual look would see it but if you look
> closely it is there, but just a trace. I am sure it
> will be gone by summer.  If it is not correct then
> the commercial grower is selling an incorrect iris.
> I believe they sent me what they are growing as AP.
> Lee Mincy

Jeff Walters
in northern Utah
(USDA Zone 4)