Re: Re: CULT: TB Argus Pheasant

Jeff,  This is the first year that Argus P.  has bloomed  for me. It has a very tall bloom stalk  and I think it had 4 very large blooms that opened one at a time. I planted one nice sized rhizome on July 16, 2005. I thought that I planted it in 2006 but I was wrong.  The last bloom is open now and is past its peak. After this came up about the PBF was the first time I had looked for it. I have studied the photos on HIPS. It does look like the last three but number one does not look like what I have. On this last very mature bloom there is almost a small white or maybe silver  spot on the falls just under the beards. I can not find that on any of the photos on HIPS. If yours blooms this year would you check a mature bloom and see if this is present on yours. I did not notice it on the first three blooms that opened but I was not looking for it. It was only after a doubt has taken over my thinking that I checked every part of this last bloom.  I have a complete set of Dykes
 metal winners minus Copper Lustre and the winner the last two years. My goal is to verify them all but I have not got around to AP yet. This is proving to be much harder that I thought it would be. I have Coralie from two sources and they are the same but I think that they are wrong. I have two Rosy Wings and they look very close and even bloom at the same time but I don't think they are exactly the same. I don't know about Vanity and Pink Taffeta because there are a lot of pink iris with red beards. Thanks for the advice. I have not given up on my AP but I do have doubt. Lee Mincy

Jeffrey Walters <jeffwiris@yahoo.com> wrote:  Lee,

Given the variability of expression of pbf that occurs
in many irises, I don't think that your observation of
a faint trace of it on the leaves of your ARGUS
PHEASANT could be considered positive proof that it
was mislabelled, especially since an unusually high
percentage of Fred DeForest's introductions do show
pbf, so the genes for it must have been very widely
distributed in his breeding lines.

My advice would be that you study all the
characteristics of your AP, particularly when it
blooms for you, to determine if you have the genuine
article. Incidentally, for me at least, AP proved to
be a particularly weak grower with scant increase and
undependable bloom, although it has one of the most
attractively toned blooms of any of the brown irises
I have grown.

--- Lee Mincy wrote:

> Jeff, Do you think that my climate may be the reason
> mine shows just a trace of PBF or can I be certain
> that I am growing an unknown? I am sure when I
> received the rhizome last July that it did not have
> PBF. It was only after reading this that I went to
> check it and could just make out the PBF. Nobody
> with just a casual look would see it but if you look
> closely it is there, but just a trace. I am sure it
> will be gone by summer. If it is not correct then
> the commercial grower is selling an incorrect iris.
> I believe they sent me what they are growing as AP.
> Lee Mincy

Jeff Walters
in northern Utah
(USDA Zone 4)