Re: HIST: Argus Pheasant, PBF, and Mystery Irises

Anner, Thank you for your comments. I enjoyed reading them. I don't really look upon my unknowns as being problems. I just enjoy being able to figure things out. I have many unknowns that I have collected in the past three years that may very well be unregistered iris. I know how Southerns are. If we have a seed we plant it. Until 4 years ago I never even knew that there was an AIS or HIPS. I can see how many natural hybrids could have come into being and passed among friends. That being said I have also been able to ID several unknowns I have collected so I know that named iris were also being shared. Since I started with iris in 2003 I have bought from many and various sources. I have bought several named iris  that turned out to be something else. Do I feel ripped off? No. I think in every case the iris that I have bought on ebay that the seller honestly thought that they knew the ID of the iris they were selling. In some cases they were wrong. I have gotten several bad
 IDs from commercial growers. Here again I think that it was just an honest mistake. It really makes no difference if I know the right name for an iris as far as being able to enjoy the beauty of that iris. It is just that I like to know and if either of my Granddaughters had a desire to grow iris I will leave my collection to them so I want my records to be as correct as possible. Regards, Lee Mincy

ChatOWhitehall@aol.com wrote:  In a message dated 5/15/2007 10:00:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time,