Re: Planning

In a message dated 5/17/2007 1:40:19 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
badams007@yahoo.com writes:

I have  the luxury of building a new bed this summer after getting sick of my
garden  pond.

Question # 1   I am looking  for an SDB that would make a nice counterpoint
to Mikey Likes It (Aitkens  '04)

I fell in love with that variety on the photos  list the other day and would
like to use it on the border of the new  bed.

Question #2  If you were building a new  bed from scratch, and were starting
with a medium clay soil with excellent  nutrional levels and pH, what else
would you combine with the soil  ?

Because there is a hole from the pond, I am  obviously going to be adding
material to build this bed in, so thought I would  ask the pros.

-Beth
Zone 4A
Catskills of NY

How about a nice bright orange or yellow or a soft pink?  My  personal SDB
favorites
Absolute Joy-brand new so higher price but just stunning!
Cat's Eye-gorgeous Dark rose with black cherry spot  )-growin'  fool!
Marksman-bright orange - also a Marky Smith iris as is Mikey Likes  It
Utlimate-bright yellow with dark mahogany spot - great grower!
Sedona-pink with orange falls
Pele-orange with violet spot
Fire Eater-bright deep orange with fat red beards

All can be ordered from Aitken's Salmon Creek Garden
_http://www.flowerfantasy.net_ (http://www.flowerfantasy.net/)  where  it was introduced Mikey Likes
it and you have lots of choices.

As far as soil amendments-I would add well aged compost & some alfalfa
pellets to the clay and add a little sand to improve drainage.

Rita  Gormley
Gormley Greenery
Cedar Hill, MO
AIS Region 18, Zone  5