Re: Transporting Iris to Shows

Linda -- I've posted this method before, but perhaps before you were with us on line. I have a supply of wine and liquor bottles that I save. Just before a show, I get several boxes from a local liquor store. The boxes have cardboard dividers. By putting 4 or 5 stalks in bottles in a box, as widely separated as possible, then steadying them by stuffing wadded newspapers in the empty spaces, I find that I can transport them for long distances even over rough roads without the flowers brushing against each other. Additionally, I keep the boxes from sliding around by sticking a few bricks against them. For the extra-tall stalks, I can set a box on the floor behind the front seat of my SUV -- if necessary, putting the box in first and putting the flowers in afterwards to avoid hitting the top of the door. For really big stalks, I put the base of the stem in a small freezer bag partially filled with water and cinch the bag to the stem with a twist tie. Then I strap the stalk to a length of bamboo (or a plastic tomato stake will do), using broad garden tape so as not to scar the stalk, and lean it securely against the top of the back seat. They'll carry for several hours this way without the blossoms twisting toward the light, but you can turn them occasionally to be extra sure.

The only problem I had had with this method was when we had the show in a church complex. They said they'd feel better if I took the labels off the bottles. Having checked this out ahead of time, it wasn't much of a hore. -- Griff

----- Original Message ----- From: "Linda Smith" <irisgrower@cableone.net>
To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 10:10 AM
Subject: Re: [iris] Transporting Iris to Shows

That just really doesn't work for me for lots of reasons. I've been doing it
that way for years---
then I saw this contraption at convention and I really like it.   I only
wish I had taken a pix of it.  That's why I was asking if anyone else had
built one of these and if they would send me a pix.

Linda in CW AZ