Re: Transporting Iris to Shows

 Hi Griff,

Some really neat ideas. I tried searching archives but guess I didn't do
search correctly.
Anyway, thanks for repeating info.

The tall stalks are the real problem.  I sort of did what you did by
slanting them and propping
them.  But didn't think about staking it also.  Next year, defiantly do that

I like height of wine bottles, but seems always my stalk is better than the
hole.  I also want something w handle on sides, like you carry a tea service
  My problem w bucket is handle is in middle and/or  if I just carry bucket
it's awkward for me. Plus it's round. This yr. put round bucket into sq. old
fashion milk delivery box --that way I've got grip on each side.  That was
better than carrying round bucket plus more stable in car ride.

Last yr. tried saving my lg.deli cat containers.  Cut a slant hole in top--
Iined cut w duct tap--
And this did pretty well for the tall ones. Plus I had a side handle so didn
t touch flower or stalk.
No messy black hands from newspaper.

But problem w this method, can only carry 2 at a time.  Usually for fair it
is a long walk and there are no carts like at the nursery we just had our
show. Unless I take a wagon or help, I've got lots of trips to the car. And
usually the heat is not something I want to leave flowers.

My salad dressing jars (the kind w a neck) in the wine 6 pack carton did ok
for smaller and/or shorter iris. Again though I'm dealing w glass and I
slowly want to get away from glass, and plastic jars are just not sturdy
enough, hence the pvc goal.

Not only do you need to be a bug expert, a soil expert, but an architect too

I think, overall, this is the most well rounded hobby I've ever gotten
myself involved in.  You need to know a little about a lot of things.
And just think of all the miles walking in my garden and it's postage stamp

Linda in CW AZ