Re: Transporting Iris to Shows

In a message dated 5/22/2007 2:20:17 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
irisgrower@cableone.net writes:

<<Last yr. tried saving my lg.deli cat containers.  Cut a  slant hole in top--
Iined cut w duct tap-- And this did pretty well for the  tall ones. Plus I
had a side handle so didn
t touch flower or stalk. No  messy black hands from newspaper.>>
A couple more things.  They make square buckets.  I used a couple  for
several years.
More recently, I've used cat litter containers.  You mentioned the  black
hands from newspaper, but if you roll the newspaper ahead?  There is  plenty of
time to wash your hands!  <vbg>  I cut extra holes in  the litter containers
and make sure the rolled newspaper sticks beyond the cut  edge so it doesn't
hurt the stalks.
Another method I've read is to use wire mesh over the tops of the  buckets.
If you're adept with pvc pipe and glue, you could make handles on the  edges
with more pipe.

Betty W.  in South-central KY Zone 6 ---If you don't cross them, you can't
plant them!
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
Where the seeds are in the pots once  again!