OT-CHAT: Subject Tags Abolished?

Greetings.

I'd like to ask whether the list policy mandating the use of subject  tags on
all posts to which they can reasonably be said to apply has been  abolished.

For some years there has been a policy that subject tags shall be  used, and
a list of these has been sent to new members of the list by the list  owner in
the Welcome Message.

The subject tags are those groups of letters that precede the actual  subject
of the posting in the posting subject line. The author of the post  selects
the subject tag.

At intervals there have been minor grumblings--- why I don't know  since
adding tags is a simple enough courtesy for a poster to accord  fellow members who
may choose to screen, sort, delete, or otherwise control  incoming list
mail---but the use of these tags has been reaffirmed by  consensus.

I like the subject tags. I use them in all the aforementioned ways. They  are
also useful when searching the Archives. I like the way tags  keep things
tidier. I suspect if folks are obliged to categorize their own  outgoing post
with the use of a tag, it cuts down on unfocused, wholly  impressionistic, and/or
extraneous posts.

Similarly, we have long had a convention on this list that folks shall
include some information about where they garden in any post involving cultural
issues. Ideally, a person will include the town, state, and country, with USDA
hardiness zone, or equivalent. These last are not invariably common knowledge
to  all on the list. We have always encouraged sensitivity to the  experiences
of other irisarians around here, and this means  people everywhere.

Mrs. Figge used to handle the chore of nagging folks about USDA  zones, but
she, alas is no longer here. I hate to nag, in fact I won't  do it, but I
really do think that without some indication of where you are  gardening, your
fellow list members cannot evaluate what you say for soundness,  or for relevance
to their own gardening conditions. Neither can they  help you should you ask
them to take their time to read your  post, and respond to your concerns.

Absent any indication that we did away with tags, I'd like to ask those who
do not have a copy handy please to ask the list owner to resend the Welcome
Message and reread it.

If you are a new member but, for some reason, did not  receive the Welcome
Message, please ask the list owner for a copy. He is  John I. Jones, at
_jijones@usjoneses.com_ (mailto:jijones@usjoneses.com)

I thank you very much for your attention, and your kind  consideration.

Cordially,

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA--no Zone included, because there are no cultural issues
discussed.