Re: OT-CHAT: Subject Tags Abolished?

The policy has not changed, it is my lack of attention recently that is the source of the problem.

I need to remind all posters that Subject tags, as defined in the Welcome Message that everyone gets when they subscribe to the list, are a necessary part of the posts.

I attach the section from the Welcome message below, and thank you Anner for bringing it to my attention.

Please use the tags as they are given; do not invent variations. If the practice loses its consistency, it will also lose much of its usefulness. I know this is a long listing, but that is a reflection of the breadth and variety of our discussions. Don't be intimidated; they will become quickly familiar after a short time. Try to use the tag that fits your message best. It is often appropriate to combine a tag from the first set (types of irises) with one from another set. If nothing fits, don't worry. Pick the best you can.

Remember, the format is the tag in ALL CAPS followed by a colon (:), followed by your subject. (no space between the subject tag and the colon)

[Subject tag]:[your subject description]

The colon is a very important part of the tag. The standard tags are below. You might want to print this for reference.

TB:  tall bearded irises
MED:  median and dwarf bearded irises
AR:  arilbred and aril irises
SIB:  Siberian irises
LA:  Louisiana irises
JI:  Japanese irises
SPU:  spuria irises
PCN:  Pacific coast native irises
BULB: bulb irises (Dutch, reticulatas, Junos)
SPEC: iris species (particularly those not covered in another category)

REB:  reblooming irises
SA:  space-age irises
HIST: historic irises and history of iris development

CULT: culture
HYB:  hybridizing
REF:  references (books and society publications)
SHOW: iris shows and related topics
IRC:  IRC chat sessions (currently Friday nights)
AIS:  American Iris Society business and issues
PHOTO: iris photography
COMP: iris-related computer topics (record keeping, photo digitizing, etc.)
CAT:  iris catalogs and discussion of commercial nurseries
AD:  iris-related advertisement (ads not related to irises are *not*
TRADE: Posts to the list offering trades or looking for a particular iris. Replies to these posts should be made off-list privately to the original sender.

OT-PLANTS: other garden plants (not irises)
OT-ART:  iris-motif art and craftwork
OT-HUMOR: iris-related humor
OT-CHAT: personal messages and conversation (consider taking it off- list!) OT-BIO: introduction from a new subscriber (please follow with your name)
ADMIN: list administration issues (reserved for the list owner)