Re: OT-CHAT: Subject Tags Abolished?

Whew! What a relief! Finally, I can rest again, secure in the knowledge that subject tags are still required. We are very fortunate to have cordial folks like Anner to watch out for these lapses for us. John, by all means, get those reminders (some unkind folks call them "nags") back out there, lest we grow slack....

Bill Wells (laughing out loud in southern MO)

ChatOWhitehall@aol.com wrote:
Greetings.
I'd like to ask whether the list policy mandating the use of subject tags on all posts to which they can reasonably be said to apply has been abolished. For some years there has been a policy that subject tags shall be used, and a list of these has been sent to new members of the list by the list owner in the Welcome Message. The subject tags are those groups of letters that precede the actual subject of the posting in the posting subject line. The author of the post selects the subject tag. At intervals there have been minor grumblings--- why I don't know since adding tags is a simple enough courtesy for a poster to accord fellow members who may choose to screen, sort, delete, or otherwise control incoming list mail---but the use of these tags has been reaffirmed by consensus. I like the subject tags. I use them in all the aforementioned ways. They are also useful when searching the Archives. I like the way tags keep things tidier. I suspect if folks are obliged to categorize their own outgoing post with the use of a tag, it cuts down on unfocused, wholly impressionistic, and/or extraneous posts. Similarly, we have long had a convention on this list that folks shall include some information about where they garden in any post involving cultural issues. Ideally, a person will include the town, state, and country, with USDA hardiness zone, or equivalent. These last are not invariably common knowledge to all on the list. We have always encouraged sensitivity to the experiences of other irisarians around here, and this means people everywhere. Mrs. Figge used to handle the chore of nagging folks about USDA zones, but she, alas is no longer here. I hate to nag, in fact I won't do it, but I really do think that without some indication of where you are gardening, your fellow list members cannot evaluate what you say for soundness, or for relevance to their own gardening conditions. Neither can they help you should you ask them to take their time to read your post, and respond to your concerns. Absent any indication that we did away with tags, I'd like to ask those who do not have a copy handy please to ask the list owner to resend the Welcome Message and reread it. If you are a new member but, for some reason, did not receive the Welcome Message, please ask the list owner for a copy. He is John I. Jones, at _jijones@usjoneses.com_ (mailto:jijones@usjoneses.com) I thank you very much for your attention, and your kind consideration. Cordially, Anner Whitehead Richmond VA USA--no Zone included, because there are no cultural issues discussed.