Re: Cult: Soil

>  Laurie,
>
> You mentioned that your soil is slightly acid.

Yes, it is, but I do lime the bearded beds.

> Plus your theory about the warmth. (We still
> aren't getting out of the 50's at night.  But daytime temps are
> climbing.)

We're still struggling to get out of the 50's for daytime highs.
Overnight lows are still occasionally flirting with mid-low 30's.  We
haven't been above 60 for more than a few days at a time all spring.

> I've been known in a hurry, to just throw a hardy unknown iris w just
> it's
> roots under the pad and a little sand on top. Water when I think about
> it
> and the iris grows .  Over at other house, I called these iris my
> clunker
> iris.
> doesn't seem to matter what you do to them, they grow.

I currently have quite a few more survivors in the historic TB rows
than I do in the modern TB rows.  The historics haven't stuck around
through the decades because they're weak and wimpy.  I expect I could
grow some of them under any conditions and have them keep plugging
merrily along.

Laurie

laurie@lfrazer.com
http://lfrazer.com/