Re: HYB: Rose scent

Griff:
<<?Has anyone else had that experience with an iris?>>

Not personally, but I observe that among the fragrances cataloged in the AIS 1939 Check List is "rose." So, for that matter,?are waterlily, may-apple, celery, and the scent of the flowers of poplar and dogwood --all of which suggests the?categories of the sniffing team were getting mighty rarefied.?So it is a documented phenomenon, although I can't tell you of the top of my head?in?which irises Mrs. Peckham found it.

Of course, the roses in bloom here today are Shailer's Provence, Jaune Desprez, and?Mme Alfred Carriere, none of which smell alike.

Back when Rusty was a pup there was talk--I think--about a "fragrance list" of modern cultivars of which someone was custodian....did that?ever make it out into general circulation???

Blooming at Chateau Whitehall?today: 'Alcazar', Ii. tectorum and cristata, both alba.

Cordially,

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA Z7