HYB: help - breeding non-messy hafts?

  • Subject: HYB: help - breeding non-messy hafts?
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Sun, 03 May 2009 11:02:44 -0400

Any of you have experience to share (preferably not theories ;-) ) from breeding out messy hafts?

So far, I have very limited experience in trying to breed out messy hafts. What I've observed so far is that the only seedlings that do <not> have messy hafts come from survivor parents here that are dark or have dark falls - my DUSKY GRAPE, ROMANTIC EVENING (ok, so it died, but it survived a few years, gave lots of pollen). Not all of their children have clean hafts, but at least some do.

When I asked Roger Duncan a few years ago, he said breeding to blacks was a good route to go, but I don't know if that would help lighter colors. Maybe yellows?

Has anyone experimented with yellows to try to get very clean hafts? i.e., no white, no dark lines? Or lighter colors of purple or blue? I have some seedlings coming along from ABOVE THE CLOUDS, which I <think> has very clean hafts (anybody have a fall available to examine?), but very few have bloomed yet. So far, they have not been clean.
--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8