Beginner questions

  • Subject: Beginner questions
  • From: Bill Chaney <billchaney@ymail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 21:30:49 -0700 (PDT)

Well, there was snow on the ground this morning, but I have iris blooming in
the greenhouse.  I have been pollinating a few blooms for almost a month now,
and have several seed pods coming along.  My questions:

1) how many seed pods
can you produce on one stalk?  Do you ever get (or even attempt) more than one
seed pod per socket?  Is there any apical dominance effect (a seed pod at the
top inhibiting lower seed pod development)?

2) how soon and how long after
opening is the stigmatic lip receptive?  I know this will depend on
conditions, but is there a general rule?