RE: HYB: Rose scent

  • Subject: RE: HYB: Rose scent
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 05:13:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Griff,
I'm fascinated by the diversity of scents I've noticed among the bearded irises. I haven't come across a rose-scented one yet, but don't see why it wouldn't be possible. Is this in one of your SDB seedlings?

Hi Anner, it's good to hear from you again [I had been a little worried and was on the verge of e-mailing you :0)]. You wrote:
"that among the fragrances cataloged in the AIS 1939 Check List is 'rose.' So, for that matter, are waterlily, may-apple, celery, and the scent of the flowers of poplar and dogwood"

I'm not familiar with waterlily, may-apple, poplar and dogwood scents, but I can vouch for the celery scent. That's exactly the thought that came to mind when I smelled the scent of my two newly registered diploid MTB rebloomers (CRICKET SONG and EASY SMILE). It's not exactly the kind of scent one's hoping for in a flower, but I guess it's not unpleasant.

Take care guys, Tom

From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 22:24:11 -0400
Today, I plucked a bloom from a seedling which had sent up a stunted stalk to
see how it might look up out of the foliage.  I was astonished to get a rose
scent  --  just as truly as if one were smelling a deep, red rose.  Has anyone
else had that experience with an iris?  --  Griff