Re: Beginner questions

  • Subject: Re: Beginner questions
  • From: christian foster <flatnflashy@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 16:19:54 -0700 (PDT)

Bill,

1.  Absolutely, you can get more than one pod in a socket.  In my
experience it doesn't even usually affect the size of the pod.  In my garden I
often have Coddling moth larvae bore into my pods; naturally they favor the
nexus of two pods for an entry points.
    I let my cross maps (big binder
showing intended crosses) dictate which crosses I attempt which usually
results in an attempt on every bloom.  I let the iris sort out which pods form
where.
    No, I have not seen a terminal pod leech the pod formation energy,
nor have I seen a lower pod do so.  Actually, I have a hypothesis that some of
the energy for seed formation comes from the ovary itself.  I postulate that
the seeds leech energy from the pith of the pod.  Of course, that's just an
untested hypothesis.  I don't even know how I would test that theory.

2.  I
think the general rule is that the lip is most receptive when the bloom is
freshest.  However, I have had a few crosses produce a pod despite the very
clear notations in my notebook that the pollen was soggy and the lip was
completely dry.   Sometimes the irises haven't gotten around to reading World
of Iris.  In my garden Everything Plus pollen must be retrieved before the
bloom opens...  My rule is if you can get pollen on the lip it's got a chance.
Christian
ky