Re: HYB: help - breeding non-messy hafts?

  • Subject: Re: HYB: help - breeding non-messy hafts?
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 08:16:41 -0400

Betty has suggested (I think) that breeding with non-plics helps avoid messy hafts, but I'm kind of stuck with most/all? the rebloom lines that I want to work with being from plic ancestry.

So the question is, what to do with them now that I have them.

Obvious answer is toss them, start over, hope for something better/cleaner, avoid dark colors other than really dark, ....

Paul, others, have you crossed GOOD SHOW or one of your other "clean" seedlings with something hafty to see what happens?

I've done some experiments myself, but only a few blooms so far:

hafty variegata X HELLO DARKNESS = much less hafty dark purple self, one seedling.

slightly hafty cream, veins tan X TREASURED = all clean children - yellow, white, pale blue, pink.

Both of these crosses are drifting farther away from potential rebloom :-(
--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8