Bloom stalk question

  • Subject: Bloom stalk question
  • From: Paul Archer <pharcher@mindspring.com>
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 20:21:27 -0400 (EDT)

Does anyone know if there is a technical (or correct) term for what happens to the bloom stalks when they shrivel in the area between the fan and buds?  I pretty much know what causes it.  It usually happens when it gets very warm and sunny after 3-4 days of cloudy and usually rainy weather.  I'm thinking the stalks are just not hardened off enough during a critical stage of development that 3-4 days with little sunlight.  Sometimes some varieties get "snakey" as well but those don't seem to have the shriveling problem.  That usually happens (if not always) on the ones that are staight up only to have them collapse in the middle of the stalk.  The buds look fine and we haven't had any frosts or freezes.  This happens every year on some varieties when this type of weather happens.

I'm also thinking we could be selecting varieties during the breeding process that don't do this.  Tht goes for the snakey tendency as well.

Paul Archer
Indianapolis, IN  Zone 5