HYB: Pudding

  • Subject: HYB: Pudding
  • From: christian foster <flatnflashy@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 18:30:54 -0700 (PDT)

Enthusiasts,

I posted a picture of a seedling which resulted from a "flat
dosage" based cross.  Just in case anyone is interested... I may have
mentioned it before but there is new data from the seedling bed today.

The
premise is that a flat iris results when 100% of a genetic formula is present
therefore SIX PACK has a dosage of 100.  The parents of a flat can be presumed
to have contributed 50% of whatever it is that it is that it is.  Thus SIX
PACK's parents, MILL RACE and MARY FRANCES each have a dosage of 50.  Using
this formula I have calculated the flat dosage of all the irises I grow and
some of the crosses I have made.

As mentioned, the white seedling posted to
iris-photos has a dosage of 12.81.  05-090: THORNBIRD X UNFURLED FLAG has got
a dosage of 53.125.  Last year I posted pictures of 05-090-02 which was culled
because it was too much like tissue paper, gets that from UF.  05-090-04 has
been staring at me all week.  It has presence, and width and velvet, and color
saturation, and tall stalks and moderate branching.  I can't hate it, but
I can't love it, and this is it's second year.  Even with dosage...
it's...completely average.

The other day, 05-090-03 opened.  Looks the
spitting image of TB when TB is that blechy muddy yellow, no sign of a horn,
maybe a bit more ruffling.  There has been a turn, with the second and third
buds- both are poly-tepal.  Frost may be a factor here... but that doesn't
discourage me much... it's either data for the goose or data for the gander.
Either, the dosage above fifty triggers the poly tepal, or it triggers a frost
induced poly-tepal.

There are four crosses whose calculated dosage is
higher.  Naturally, none of them have seen fit to bloom yet.  I need to do
a more thorough check, I know of one seedling at least that survived the 07
drought.

Maybe I'll CC this to photos after all.....

Christian