From: Paul Archer <pharcher@mindspring.com>
To: iris@hort.net
Sent: Mon, 11 May 2009 8:21 pm
Subject: [iris] Bloom stalk question

Does anyone know if there is a technical (or correct) term for what happens to
the bloom stalks when they shrivel in the area between the fan and buds?  I
pretty much know what causes it.  It usually happens when it gets very warm and
sunny after 3-4 days of cloudy and usually rainy weather.  I'm thinking the
stalks are just not hardened off enough during a critical stage of development
that 3-4 days with little sunlight.  Sometimes some varieties get "snakey" as
well but those don't seem to have the shriveling problem.  That usually happens
(if not always) on the ones that are staight up only to have them collapse in
the middle of the stalk.  The buds look fine and we haven't had any frosts or
freezes.  This happens every year on some varieties when this type of weather

I'm also thinking we could be selecting varieties during the breeding process
that don't do this.  Tht goes for the snakey tendency as well.

Paul Archer
Indianapolis, IN  Zone 5