HYB:Reports

This spring was incredibly wet.? When the rain stopped, the heat cranked up and none of the late crosses took.? I'm most thankful for the 2006 season.?

I hate to even mention the ones that did take!? My deer are acting weird this year.? The farmers have mowed most of the pastures during the past week. Night before last a deer ate my petunias, my dusty miller, and my straw hat.? I've put the lace protectors on some of the pods.? Hope they don't get the pods in the lower garden before I get down there.

Linda, I have some pods that appear to be air pod, but I have others that look like full pods.? I had a healthy population of Bumbies (Bumblebees) this spring and I think they may have been a factor.? Won't know for sure until the pods mature.?

Couple of crosses?that took: (crossed fingers)

(Vanishing Act x NIght Game) X (Hello Darkness x Tara's Choice).? The pod parent is the best of the two dark purple seedlings from this cross.? Very tall.? Posted on photo list last spring.? Pollen parent in near black.?

(Cantina x Tara's Choice)?X Pure As Gold.? The pod parent is from the 2005 batch that has fought the drought so hard.? Thought most were dead.? The pod parent bloomed in the summer of 2007 (after the little bit of late spring bloom) and was ugly.? I made the cross with hopes of achieving summer bloom from Cantina while maintaining the color and pattern of TC.? I was disappointed but not surprised.? What did surprise me was the bloom it gave this spring.? Much better in every way!? (Not a carbon copy of either.) Good height, branching etc..?

I've been doing a bit of experimenting with the height factor.? I have a good reblooming seedling that gives very good form in seedlings but grows short.? The challenge was to get tall seedlings from a short pod parent.?In addition, it doesn't usually mature pollen, a trait it inherits from Immortality.? I'm stuck with using it as a pod parent.? It's a easy podder, but the height factor was daunting.? The 1624-01re X Arctic Fox was a success.? Most were quite tall.? None had red beards, but maybe next generation.? One of my favorite seedlings from the cross has a fan with a very obvious 'hook!'? It's in the car port bed so it gives me something more to watch.?

One of my rebloom seedlings from 2011 has set a bee pod.? Based on recent experience with bee pods, I will save it if it produces seed.? This cross gave a wide variety of seedlings, with three that gave rebloom (2008).? Amber Ambiance X 1504-02 (wide) ((Gallant Moment x Feed Back) x Tara's Choice.)? I'll post some of these on the photo site in a day or two.?

Betty Wilkerson
Bridge In Time Iris
KY Zone 6