Re: HYB:Reports

  • Subject: Re: HYB:Reports
  • From: christian foster <flatnflashy@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 15:04:48 -0700 (PDT)

don't mention the wet spring.  I've gone back to school and had two weeks free
between semesters.  Naturally, those two weeks were wet.  Summer semester is
accelerated, so by the time it dried up I had homework to keep me out of the
irises.  I bet I didn't even make fifty crosses.

Amaryllis looked soooo good
this year.  She wilts so quickly in even a little heat, but I guess it was
cool enough this year.  I think I made about a dozen crosses on her... no hope
there... her ovaries hold water.

Two newer flats bloomed in my garden this
year, Fluffy Pillows (Schreiner's 08) and Want A Hug (Turner 03).  I jumped
for joy when I discovered that Want a Hug makes pollen, so very few flat iris
make pollen.  I suspect that Fluffy Pillows will prove as difficult a parent
as Amaryllis- it's the structure of the bloom/ovary- almost like two stacked

Most of the 05-152 series bloomed this year, and I was
disappointed.  They share their pollen parent with the 05-119 and
05-049 series that bloomed with such diversity last year.  Much less diversity
in the 05-152 series, all bitones, mostly mid to pale yellows over mid blues-
they get that from Edith Wolford I guess.  Too much anthocyanin in that cross.
Despite the anthocyanin, I'm finding Indigo Princess to be a good parent.
Several representatives of her pollen and pod capabilities in the seedling bed
took her form and still allowed the other parent to express.  Me, myself and I
think that IP's form is very quite lovely. (can you tell I like it?)  I like
the big ruffles and the substance and the somewhat horizontal
falls...especially how nearly circular they are when viewed from above.  Some
really nice individuals from crosses with Dresden Dancer and Halo in Pink(?).
Bonus on those seedlings is fringe in addition to the big loopy ruffles.  Too
bad they're "just another blue"

One surprising seedling was from Indigo
Princess X Unfurled Flag - a flat motivated cross.  Generally a dog, enough
width, enough substance, a little small, it almost seems that it couldn't make
up it's mind whether to wear the ruffles or not wear the ruffles.  The thing
that was surprizing was the color...oh, it's still blue... but...  In the
garden, it is a deep, velvety, sheeny, almost iridescent, dark, royal purple
self, except that everywhere the edge of the petal turns, in that half ruffled
way, it looks like a deep matte cornflower blue.  Stood there for ten minutes
trying to take a picture of the bugger that would catch even just the contrast
between the underside and the top of the petal. Total waste of time...just
like trying to describe the color...

Most if not all of the fifty odd
seedlings lined out in March and April found themselves in the path of a gully
washer, so it appears that all those have failed at line out.  08 crosses in
burritoes are still providing a steady stream of new germinants for me to
kill, so there may still be hope, if I can only find the time.

I had a garden
visitor in the last week of bloom.  A young lady from my church who has looked
over my shoulder at iris catalogs and who had expressed an interest in "how do
you do that".  I had to laugh, she walked around my unkempt beds like an old
pro- dodging the bobbing pods in the walkways, reaching out to touch those
with really nice substance like IP, Raspberry Wine, and Pistachio.  She made a
cross, Raspberry Wine X 05-119-11 (I posted a picture a few weeks ago).  I
showed her my burritoes and my windowsill seedlings and some pictures on the
computer.  She ooohed and aaahhhed in the most satisfying way, and then had to
go home.

Pistachio may well be one of those under-appreciated iris.  Nice
substance-not cardboard but nice, good proportions, fragrant, reliable with
the pollen, makes a nice clump without being loud about it, must have a decent
stalk and bud count since it wasn't in the walkways and lasted a long time.
It's on my green breeding stock list.

Mohr Pretender bloomed for the
first time after seven years.  Between rain showers I would run down to the
bed, ask myself who that beauty was, fail to find a tag near the plant, and
promptly forget to look it up when I got back to the house.  As the last bloom
faded, I finally had map in hand and thought in head at the same time, and
cursed all the crossses that I could have been attempting.

But the good news
is, that the ground is nice and soft for digging raised beds.