breeding 6 fall bearded Irises

  • Subject: breeding 6 fall bearded Irises
  • From: greenthumbs <greenthumbs777@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 15:34:52 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

   I just joined the list. I have been attempting to breed flat beardeds. I have only been successful in getting three seedlings so far and have yet to see what blooms they produce. I would ideally like to produce numbers more into the 100s or 1,000s for better selections. I have more blooms this yr than last and the weather has been cooler and more humid. Maybe things will turn out better this yr.

   My question regarding this breeding has to do with the heredity of the 6-fall trait. I was wondering how it transfers to offspring? My guess is that it's co-dominant, or incompletely dominant, since I've seen some Iris that seem to have this trait to varying degrees and do not appear completely 100% either way?

   Has anyone ever bred a 6-fall iris to a standard iris, and if so, what would you say was the approximate percent, if any, that turned out flat?
   Thanks for any info!

David