Re: breeding 6 fall bearded Irises

  • Subject: Re: breeding 6 fall bearded Irises
  • From: christian foster <flatnflashy@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 03:55:23 -0700 (PDT)

Hi David,

You and I are going to be bestest friends.  I am also interested in
the flat irises, although I am too new to irises to answer the questions you
are asking.

I have and am crossing flat irises to regular irises every bloom
season.  So far the only seedlings to bloom in my garden have involved
Unfurled Flag and they have displayed a normal 3/3 bloom form.  I am awaiting
bloom on an 06 seedling of Little Freak.  Also, of note in my bed, one
seedling with beards on normal standards...

You may be right about the
co-dominant thing.  Check the archives at hort.net for some of my previous
posts about my dosage theory.  I also have a theory that I've been calling
"frost activated poly-tepal".  I've also made some comments on the form of the
style crest, which may be part of the formula.

I have done signifigant
pedigree research on the flat irises that have been introduced, and any
seedlings I happen to hear about.  There is a record of a strain of 6 falled
or at least 6 bearded seedlings, off the top of my head Tuller was the
breeder, but named irises from this strain appear to be extant.  In addition,
there are two families that appear in the extended pedigrees of many flats,
there may be mention of these in the archives, otherwise we can exchange notes

Breeding flat irises has some mechanical issues, as I've mentioned
in a recent post.  Few flat irises produce pollen and several appear to have
compromised pod structures.

Feel free to e'mail me privately.  I'ld love to
have a collaborator....  Hey, where are you?  State and gardening zone would
be good.