Re: breeding 6 fall bearded Irises

  • Subject: Re: breeding 6 fall bearded Irises
  • From: greenthumbs <greenthumbs777@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 04:46:36 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Christian,

   If you are getting few to no F1 offspring that display any
flat characteristics, the trait could be recessive. Have you bred any F1s back
to the flat parent and observed the blooms of F2s?

   I had a look back at
the archives, but very little was returned in the search.

   I have noticed
that 'Judy Mogil' has never made an anther in the past three blooming periods
since I've had it. The three seedlings I have so far are from that one last yr
though. So seed, while apparently not that numerous, can be produced. The
older 'Rhythm' does however produce pollen laden anthers.

   Which families
have you found so far that have produced some of the flats?

   I am in
northern IN, z5-5b.

Thanks!

David

--- On Wed, 5/27/09,

<flatnflashy@yahoo.com>

To: iris@hort.net
> Date: Wednesday, May 27, 2009, 6:55 AM
> Hi David,

You and I are going to be bestest friends.  I am also
> interested in
> the
flat irises, although I am too new to irises to answer
> the questions you

are asking.

> I have and am crossing flat irises to regular irises every

bloom
> season.  So far the only seedlings to bloom in my
> garden have
involved
> Unfurled Flag and they have displayed a normal 3/3 bloom
> form.  I
am awaiting
> bloom on an 06 seedling of Little Freak.  Also, of
> note in my
bed, one
> seedling with beards on normal standards...
>
> You may be right
about the
> co-dominant thing.  Check the archives at hort.net for
> some of
my previous
> posts about my dosage theory.  I also have a theory
> that I've
been calling
> "frost activated poly-tepal".  I've also made some
> comments
on the form of the
> style crest, which may be part of the formula.

have done signifigant
> pedigree research on the flat irises that have been

introduced, and any
> seedlings I happen to hear about.  There is a record

of a strain of 6 falled
> or at least 6 bearded seedlings, off the top of my
head
> Tuller was the
> breeder, but named irises from this strain appear to
be
> extant.  In addition,
> there are two families that appear in the
extended
> pedigrees of many flats,
> there may be mention of these in the
archives, otherwise we
> can exchange notes
> later.
>
> Breeding flat
irises has some mechanical issues, as I've
> mentioned
> in a recent post.
Few flat irises produce pollen and
> several appear to have
> compromised pod
structures.

> Feel free to e'mail me privately.  I'ld love to
> have a
collaborator....  Hey, where are you?
> State and gardening zone would
> be