Re: breeding 6 fall irises

  • Subject: Re: breeding 6 fall irises
  • From: RAINACRE@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 13:18:26 EDT

My experience breeding from the 'New Perspective' line is that flat x flat
gives 100% flat. I have bloomed about 300 seedlings of this type. However,
there  is a variation in the expression of the character depending largely
on the  growing conditions for the individual plant. Typically 'New
Perspective' blooms  "normal" or partially converted the first year or sometimes just
early in the  bloom season becoming flatter later. I think that there are
several kinds of  flat tall beards and not all kinds are transmitted in the
same way. 'Judy Mogul'  seems not to be a 'New Perspective' sort. The fact
flowers show white  sections in the converted falls shows that it wants to be
an amoena, but the  expression is altered by the flat factor. The fact that
a flat is not  always flat can be a good thing. It is often these off type
flowers are the only  ones with pollen and the only chance to breed from the
variety. I think those  flat varieties which produce six good beards of the
same size are the best  varieties to breed from.

I have good pods on 'New Perspective' with my flat intro for this year
'Orbison' and I am looking forward to seeing the seedlings bloom.

The biggest problem with the flats, at least for me, is form. Usually the
flats show up one in a cross so the chance of selecting good form  is highly
problematic. This means that these sports need to be  cross with 3 fall
type with great form, branching, etc. and back crossing these  seedlings
together and with flats. Could take several generations to  get anything worth
introducing.

Some non-flat varieties will give flats when crossed with a flat. One way
to find these is to study parentages of flats that come from non-flats.
'Orbison' is from 'Diobolique' x ('World Tour' x 'Kathleen Kay Nelson').
'Diabolique" might be related to 'Indigo Princess' which Mike mentioned.

Fred Kerr
Rainbow Acres
**************Dinner Made Easy Newsletter - Simple Meal Ideas for Your
Family. Sign Up Now!