Re: breeding 6 fall irises

  • Subject: Re: breeding 6 fall irises
  • From: greenthumbs <greenthumbs777@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 11:18:33 -0700 (PDT)

   >My experience breeding from the 'New Perspective' line is that flat x
flat
gives 100% flat. I have bloomed about 300 seedlings of this type.>

The
trait in that particular variety must be recessive then? Your comment about
'Judy Mogil' makes good sense.

   >However, there  is a variation in the
expression of the character depending largely on the growing conditions for
the individual plant.>

I'd say that's to be expected. Environmental factors
can influence various genetic traits in some living organisms.

   >Typically
'New Perspective' blooms  "normal" or partially converted the first year or
sometimes just early in the  bloom season becoming flatter later.>

The
striping on the tree peony 'Shima-Nishiki' can behave in a similar manner.
>The biggest problem with the flats, at least for me, is form. Usually the
flats show up one in a cross so the chance of selecting good form is highly
problematic.>

It seems even greater odds of developing anything with a good
quality specific color pattern, good branching, good bud count, and form all
in one.

   >This means that these sports need to be cross with 3 fall type
with great form, branching, etc. and back crossing these seedlings together
and with flats. Could take several generations to  get anything worth
introducing.>

Sounds like breeding good birds. Same steps.

   >Some
non-flat varieties will give flats when crossed with a flat. One way
to find
these is to study parentages of flats that come from non-flats.>

That sounds
easier than trial and error, which may never produce anything!

   I have been
crossing 'Batik' to 'Six Pack' this yr. Trying to get that splatter appearance
in a flat. Probably a huge shot in the dark...

David

--- On
Wed, 5/27/09, RAINACRE@aol.com <RAINACRE@aol.com> wrote:

> From:
RAINACRE@aol.com <RAINACRE@aol.com>
> Subject: Re: [iris] breeding 6 fall
irises
> To: iris@hort.net
> Date: Wednesday, May 27, 2009, 1:18 PM
> My
experience breeding from the 'New
> Perspective' line is that flat x flat

gives 100% flat. I have bloomed about 300 seedlings of this
> type. However,
> there  is a variation in the expression of the
> character depending largely
> on the  growing conditions for the individual plant.
> Typically 'New

Perspective' blooms  "normal" or partially converted
> the first year or
sometimes just
> early in the  bloom season becoming flatter later. I
> think
that there are
> several kinds of  flat tall beards and not all kinds
> are
transmitted in the
> same way. 'Judy Mogul'  seems not to be a 'New

Perspective' sort. The fact
> flowers show white  sections in the converted
falls
> shows that it wants to be
> an amoena, but the  expression is altered
by the flat
> factor. The fact that
> a flat is not  always flat can be a
good thing. It is
> often these off type
> flowers are the only  ones with
pollen and the only
> chance to breed from the
> variety. I think those  flat
varieties which produce
> six good beards of the
> same size are the best
varieties to breed from.

> I have good pods on 'New Perspective' with my
flat intro
> for this year
> 'Orbison' and I am looking forward to seeing
the seedlings
> bloom.
>
> The biggest problem with the flats, at least for
me, is
> form. Usually the
> flats show up one in a cross so the chance of
selecting
> good form  is highly
> problematic. This means that these sports
need to be
> cross with 3 fall
> type with great form, branching, etc. and
back crossing
> these  seedlings
> together and with flats. Could take
several generations
> to  get anything worth
> introducing.
>
> Some
non-flat varieties will give flats when crossed with a
> flat. One way
find these is to study parentages of flats that come
> from non-flats.

'Orbison' is from 'Diobolique' x ('World Tour' x 'Kathleen
> Kay Nelson').

'Diabolique" might be related to 'Indigo Princess' which
> Mike mentioned.
>
> Fred Kerr
> Rainbow Acres
> **************Dinner Made Easy Newsletter -
Simple Meal
> Ideas for Your
> Family. Sign Up Now!

(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221991367x1201443283/aol?redir=http
:%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B215225819%3B37274678%3Bs%

3Fhttp:%2F%2Frecipes.dinnermadeeasy.com%2F%3FESRC%3D622)