Re: Re: breeding 6 fall irises

  • Subject: Re: Re: breeding 6 fall irises
  • From: greenthumbs <greenthumbs777@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 11:35:00 -0700 (PDT)

   > Following usuall odds of BC, you would need about 3-4000 seedlings to get
a chance of getting one BC, again depending on particular alleles of plicata
not being relevant. Many more if it is relevant.>

Thanks, Chuck! I was
guessing it would be into the thousands, as per an earlier remark I made about
only getting 3 seedlings so far and likely needing 100s or even 1,000s, I just
wasn't sure how many 1,000s. I have plenty of space; 21 acres. I'm just not
looking to do that much weeding! LOL

David

--- On Thu, 5/28/09,

<irischapman@aim.com>
iris@hort.net
> Date: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 12:44 PM
>   I have been

crossing 'Batik' to 'Six Pack' this yr. Trying to get that
> splatter
appearance
> in a flat. Probably a huge shot in the dark...
>

> David
>

> There very well could be several sets of genes controlling
> 6 Falls. That
is a different set in different cultivars.
> Only experimentation will
determine this.

> With recessive genes, recovering the recessive in F2
would
> be about one out of 36.  Batik is a  plicata ( a
> recessive) with
unknown allele type  (thet is how many
> glaciata, luminata and classic
plicata alleles)  as
> well as having the genetic factor that combines with
plicata
> genes to produce a broken colour. It often produces around
> 1/3 of
seedlings of BC  when crossing BC X regular
> plicata , but can sometimes
produce no BC in this type of
> cross.
>
> So you will need to make a very
long cross to pull this one
> off. To get a plicata that is flat will be about
1 out of
> 1296  will have plicata plus be flat. Following usuall
> odds of
BC, you would need about 3-4000 seedlings to get a
> chance of getting one BC,
again depending on particular
> alleles of plicata not being relevant. Many
more if it is
> relevant.
>
> Probably will need to pick best flat and cross
to any
> other F2 siblings having plicata or BC. Then have to work on

impoving form and plant habits.

> Best of luck. Hope you have lots of
garden room. A noble