Re: breeding 6 fall irises

  • Subject: Re: breeding 6 fall irises
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 13:52:26 -0400

<<<<Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 11:35:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: greenthumbs <greenthumbs777@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [iris] Re: breeding 6 fall irises

> Following usuall odds of BC, you would need about 3-4000 seedlings to get a chance of getting one BC, again depending on particular alleles of plicata
not being relevant. Many more if it is relevant.>

Thanks, Chuck! I was
guessing it would be into the thousands, as per an earlier remark I made about only getting 3 seedlings so far and likely needing 100s or even 1,000s, I just wasn't sure how many 1,000s. I have plenty of space; 21 acres. I'm just not
looking to do that much weeding! LOL

Best bet would be to do as many F1 seeds as possible. Select best of seedlings for F2 cross. Again as many seeds as you can handle. Select from F2 for flat and for plicata or if lucky BC. select several seedlings from these reselect and cross back to a selected F1 or several F1 plants. Odds are you will have a flat with two or plicata genes and a plicata with two or more flat genes (as long as you select about 6 or more of F2 to try.)

F2 X F1  should give you something to work with.

Chuck Chapman