Re: breeding 6 fall irises

  • Subject: Re: breeding 6 fall irises
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 18:54:10 -0400

I was thinking F2 is F1 X F1 sib

Back crossing F1 to parent would be fine if you were trying to reestablish one recessive, but it wouldn't get you to goal of two recessives.

By picking a flat or a plicata seedling from F2, from F1 sibling crosses you would have one parent with one recessive trait fixed. In a F2 of this type 1/4 of the plants would have only one gene or no genes of the second recessive. 26 out of 36 plants would have the second recessive with 2 or 3 of the second recessive. F1 is known to have two sets of genes of each recessive so you are getting 1/6 of seedlings with the F2 fixed recessive and 1/36 to 1/12 with the second recessive. Improving odds of getting the double recessive seedling you are looking for.

As 1/4 of F2 have one or none of the second recessive gene, it is necessary to select several seedlings for a backcross to F1.

Of course you could cross two F2 seedlings to each other, but you would need to select about 6 cultivars and cross each with each other for a total of 26 crosses versus 6 crosses of F2 X F1 . This is necessary because of the 1/4 of F2 having only one or none of second recessive. You need to play statistics so odds are in your favour.

Chuck Chapman