RE: HYB: ? rebloom genetics (was Renown x Immortality)

  • Subject: RE: HYB: ? rebloom genetics (was Renown x Immortality)
  • From: "Francelle" <fjmjedwards@q.com>
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 17:06:27 -0700

Yes, Betty, I had it in two beds, no luck.  It was in full sun.  Most of my
irises bloom best in full sun.
I have been reading the discussion of fall rebloomers and summer rebloomers.
I seldom have an iris rebloom in the fall.  In fact we seldom have any fall.
90 degree temperatures last into November, then in less than a month we will
have night freezes.  Some try to bloom in the winter and usually get frozen.
My usual pattern for rebloomers is early February bloom then sporadic bloom
through March, April and May.  Would these be called summer rebloomers?
One blue amoena seedling that I've almost tossed twice, won third place in a
popularity show in March.  About two weeks ago it sent up two more very nice
stalks.  The temperature had been above 100 for fourteen record breaking
days.  Another seedling started blooming on Jan. 28 and had stalks blooming
continuously until April 1.  A pretty iris that will bloom well over two
months without losing any vigor is desirable in my opinion.
It looks as though the last iris standing in my garden this year is Total
Recall.  It has been blooming for six weeks and is still beautiful.

Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9