Re: Re: breeding 6 fall irises

  • Subject: Re: Re: breeding 6 fall irises
  • From: greenthumbs <greenthumbs777@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 17:12:16 -0700 (PDT)

   >I was thinking F2 is F1 X F1 sib>

Ahh.

   >Back crossing F1 to parent
would be fine if you were trying to reestablish one recessive, but it wouldn't
get you to goal of two recessives.>

True!

   >versus 6 crosses of F2 X F1
.>

That's actually not too bad, and pretty good statistics! Just 6 crosses
isn't bad at all. Of course I will no doubt need lots of seedlings to trial
from each one, but still it's better than I had expected.

   Thanks, Chuck!
David

--- On Sat, 5/30/09, irischapman@aim.com

<irischapman@aim.com>
iris@hort.net
> Date: Saturday, May 30, 2009, 6:54 PM
> I was thinking F2 is
F1 X F1 sib

> Back crossing F1 to parent would be fine if you were trying

to reestablish one recessive, but it wouldn't get you to
> goal of two
recessives.

> By picking a  flat or a plicata seedling from
> F2, from F1
sibling crosses you would have one parent with
> one recessive trait fixed. In
a F2 of this type  1/4 of
> the plants would have only one gene or no genes
of the
> second recessive. 26 out of 36 plants would have the second

recessive with 2 or 3 of the second
> recessive.   F1 is known to have two
sets of
> genes of each recessive so you are getting 1/6 of seedlings
> with
the F2 fixed recessive and 1/36 to 1/12  with the
> second recessive.
Improving odds of getting  the double
> recessive seedling you are looking
for.

> As 1/4 of F2 have one or none of the second recessive gene,
> it is
necessary to select several seedlings for a backcross
> to F1.
>
> Of course
you could cross two F2 seedlings to each other,
> but you would need to select
about 6  cultivars
> and cross each with each other for a total of 26

crosses  versus 6 crosses of F2 X F1 . This is
> necessary because of the 1/4
of F2 having only one or none
> of second recessive.  You need to play
statistics so
> odds are in your favour.
>
> Chuck Chapman
>
> Date: Fri, 29
May 2009 11:20:50 -0700 (PDT)

Subject: Re: [iris] Re: breeding 6 fall irises

>    I know exactly what
you're talking about.
> F2 x F1 in my birds has produced
> amazing results. I
can see the striking similarities with
> irises and going
> back to the flat
pod parent just as I have gone back to the
> maternal fowl line
> with the
F2s.

>   So it would be something like this...
>
> Six Pack x Batik = F1

Six Pack x F1 = F2

> F2 x F1
> ... With each filial cross involving
multiple

irischapman@aim.com

irischapman@aim.com
> <irischapman@aim.com>
> > Subject: [iris] Re: breeding 6
> fall irises
> > To: iris@hort.net
> > Date: Friday, May 29, 2009, 1:52 PM
>

> <<<<Date: Thu, 28 May
> > 2009 11:35:00 -0700 (PDT)
> > From: greenthumbs
> <greenthumbs777@yahoo.com>
> > Subject: Re: [iris] Re: breeding 6 fall
irises

> >    > Following usuall odds of BC, you
> > would need about
3-4000 seedlings to
> get
> > a chance of getting one BC, again depending on

particular
> > alleles of
> plicata
> > not being relevant. Many more if it is
relevant.>

> > Thanks,
> Chuck! I was
> > guessing it would be into the
thousands, as per an
> earlier
> >
> remark I made about
> > only getting 3
seedlings so far and likely needing
> 100s
> or
> > even 1,000s, I just

wasn't sure how many 1,000s. I have plenty of
> space; 21
> > acres. I'm just
not
> > looking to do that much weeding! LOL
> >
> David>.>>
> >

> Best bet would be to do as many F1 seeds as possible.
> >
> Select best of
seedlings   for F2 cross.
> > Again as many seeds as you can
> handle. Select
from F2 for
> > flat and for plicata or if lucky
> BC.   select
> >
> several
seedlings from these reselect and cross back to a
> > selected F1 or
> several
F1 plants. Odds are you will have a
> > flat with two or plicata genes
> and a
plicata with two or
> > more flat genes  (as long as you select about 6

or more of F2 to try.)

> > F2 X F1  should give you something to work
with.

> > Chuck Chapman
> >

> -

> End of iris