Re: CULT: Alfalfa After Bloom?

In a message dated 5/31/2009 12:21:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
irisgrower@cableone.net writes:

I've  been told not to use rabbit pellets.  I compared the ingredients  and
my conclusion was that rabbit pellets have salt. Does anyone else have  an
opinion or more in depth knowledge? I've heard other reason, but  can't
remember what they were.

Linda, thank your for your response..
There is a lot in the Archives about alfalfa-- which word makes a great
search term-- but preponderantly about using the pellets at different times of
 year than I am proposing. I am specifically asking about experiences with
a  side dressing of pellets after the plants bloom, and I'm hoping to hear
about some recent experiences.
There is no question in my mind that alfalfa pellets are beneficial,  if
only as a fine source of additional organic matter in the soil. I use a  lot
of alfalfa in my garden. I, too, have pitched them around the irises,  and
they did get disagreeable against the fans, but nothing rotted. I am more
careful where I position them now. They can be added to the soil before
planting, in which case a layer a couple of pellets thick is spread on the
ground, and watered, and in a couple of days they will have swelled and  loosened
and may be tilled in.  I do not brew alfalfa tea, even for  the roses.
Now, it is correct that you must use pure alfalfa, which is marketed  as
meal, or as horse pellets. Other animal feeds may, as you have observed, also
contain salt, or molasses, or corn, or who knows what. None of these  are
ideal to the proposed purpose, and corn may actually  be  detrimental. Corn
gluten is marketed as an herbicide.
Still looking for anyone who has had success with adding alfalfa after
Anner Whitehead