RE: HYB: ? rebloom genetics (was Renown x Immortality)

  • Subject: RE: HYB: ? rebloom genetics (was Renown x Immortality)
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 14:16:49 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: iris DIGEST <iris-owner@hort.net>
To: iris-digest@hort.net
Sent: Sun, 31 May 2009 11:45 am
Subject: [iris] iris DIGEST V1 #855

You won't get any rebloom until the plant initiates a flower bud, which occurs when you get about 5 nights in a row with minimum temperature above 15C (for me in Canada) or below 22C for you in Arizona.

I'm not sure why your plants would bloom in Feb as the only other times that I'm familar at that time had suplimental light . Most iris plants would be photo period dormant at that time. Allthough there are some that are temperature dormant. But most would not be growing under such low daylight periods.

I wouldn't consider Feb bloom to be rebloom without additional data.Such as what is the lighting plants are getting at that time, number of days of temperture in row with temperature maximum around 10C and number of days with temp above 22c , which can reset vernalization cumulative hours. It could very well be early spring bloom triggered by various circumstances.

Immortality seems particular senmsitive to high temperaures, in that it seems to be triggered into heat dormancy at lower high temeratures thenm a lot of other cultivars.

Chuck Chapman