Re: CULT: Alfalfa After Bloom?

In a message dated 5/31/2009 1:02:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ddbro@sbcglobal.net writes:

Whether  you make tea out of them, or till them in, both methods
work.  I do  not sprinkle them on top of the iris.  No reason in particular,
just  have never done it. I haven't tried it immediately after bloom but we
have  used them spring and fall.

Thanks, Dana; I really appreciate it.
I've used them spring and fall, too, sprinkled on top, but never after
bloom. What I am worried about is stimulating the plants at the  wrong time, of
That said, the chemicals in the pellets would not be immediately available
to the plants if application occurred in spring anyway, since they'd have
to break down chemically and the soil temperatures would have to  be high
enough, I guess, so maybe it's all of a piece and a spring  fertilization is
also an after bloom fertilization.
Does anyone here ever fertilize with any chemical fertilizer  right after
bloom? As a routine sort of process?
I'll pass on the tea recipe, Dana, but thank you. Here in the  city odors
get to be a problem--I brewed a righteous batch once for my  roses-- and in
the garden in question I think the practicalities would prove  challenging.
Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA USDA Zone7