TB:Garden:color:help
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: TB:Garden:color:help
  • From: autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 11:24:26 -0400

Hi All,

I'm building a new 50 x 4 foot bed which will be visible from the road, but
still 200-300 feet away.  This is to hold my "keepers" from the beds I'm
eliminating for new seedlings.  I'm referring to registered irises, mainly
oncers.  The keepers will be irises that speciffically speak to me or those
that have breeding value.  It will hold approximately 70 clumps.  This will
not include rebloomers being trialed.  They will get another bed below my
summer rebloomers in the garden proper.

This is the first bed that will be in view of the neighborhood.  The garden
proper is below the crest of the bank and can only be seen from a distance
down the road.  Anyone focusing on the road would not know it is here.

I tend to like either bright or dark irises.  Currently working bi-colors,
bi-tones, reds, black, orange, etc..  Trying to put color into the rebloomers.
Most of my light colors are among the rebloomers and they won't be in this
bed.  I like any pastel with red beards so those are exceptions.

My guess would be that only about 25% will be pastels, maybe less.  There will
be some bright things such as Lovely Seniority, Man About Town, Mastery,
Braggadocio etc..  I'm guessing I should alternate these (pastels & brights)
with the darks for best impact?  Rather than putting the pastels in the middle
row or some other placement?  I do a matrix/staggered format in the beds so
the middle row could give an alternate appearance from the road.  (liking this
better--talking myself into it!)

Any suggestions?

Betty Wilkerson
KY Zone 6