Re: Iris fragrance... sort of.
  • Subject: Re: Iris fragrance... sort of.
  • From: "elladan tds.net" <elladan@tds.net>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 05:58:47 -0500

This brings a few things to my mind.
Whenever anybody talks about fragrance I remember stilling in my
mothers garden when her iris were blooming (weeding of course) and the
entire yard smelled like grapes. Yum....  but then later I grew an
iris that had a strong smell, rather like old kitty litter, (to me
much worse than smoke). Yuck.

The first time I went to the local club iris show we walked around a
looked at the iris and smelled them also. We were quickly told by the
gentleman who seemed to be in charge of the show that iris are not
known for their smell, so we really should not be considering that as
a factor for if we like them or not, and that most have no smell
anyway. Or something to that effect. At any rate he told us not to
smell them. (we did anyway)

Also, some people, as they get older lose their sense of smell entirely.

For me, I love all the different smells they have. To smell an iris
always picks me up and reminds me what I do all this weeding for. But
it is not something I consider when I purchase them.