HIST - Iris fragrance in old iris
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: HIST - Iris fragrance in old iris
  • From: Gesine Lohr <gesine.lohr@gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 20:15:28 -0700

Iris fragrance -- get some historic iris!

Don't have time right now, but some oldies smell like grape soda, some like
root beer,
some like other neat things.

I think I. pallida is one, 'Alcazar' smells like root beer.

see
www.hips-roots.com
HIPS (Historic Iris Preservation Society)

Gesine
(Roots editor for HIPS)

Interesting topic this morning.  I've been sitting here thinking about it,
knowing there's no iris here that has that delicious grape scent of my
childhood either.  You didn't even have to be near it to smell it.  If I
could find that iris again, I'd certainly ask the grower for a little piece
of it.