HYB: Puzzlings-fragrance mostly
  • Subject: HYB: Puzzlings-fragrance mostly
  • From: christian foster <flatnflashy@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 16:18:48 -0700 (PDT)

Well,  I have this seedling.  My camera's broken, so I can't shoot it to post it.

The seedlings bloom is self white, very clear without haft marks, yet well saturated-- beard is goldenrod only very deep in the throat.  It has ruffles, but not enough or not the right kind.  It has enough width, but the falls are that touch too long.  It has nicely arching standards which are all well enough.  Insuffiecient butd count, unremarkable stem.  You may be getting the picture that this seedling is rather unremarkable.

So, I plucked the last bloom from the stalk, just to carry with me and enjoy and noticed it is fragrant.  The fragrance is quite nice, noticeable but not overpowering, sweet with just a touch of musk, so I thought I'ld mention it in case one of you fragrance breeders might be interested in using it for breeding stock.

According to the labeling the cross is Secretariat X Angel Chiffon.  I might buy the AC part... but all labels are suspect because the bed has moved 150 miles, and was closely planted and grown together and all the original labels have faded....

AAAnyway, when I tossed the bloom on the dash for the short drive back to the apartment, I apparently turned a new face forward.  On one of the puckers on one fall there is a light lavender plicata edge.  Has anyone seen anything like that before? Outside of known BC lines I mean...

I think I've talked myself into Fimbriated Space as one of the parents, based on style form and overall appearance... so I may keep a small piece just to see what it does.

On a totally separate note, while I was looking up the pedigree of this seedling I noted that there is no such cross as 05-119.  There is however, 05-019 McKellar's Grove X Edith Wolford.  That gives me two crosses to repeat.  I was going to repeat the Rebound X Jesse's Song cross that produced the pod parent for the 05-119 cross.  Now I will have to repeat the MG X EW cross.  I'm getting goose pimples just thinking about it..