HYB: substance & form question
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: HYB: substance & form question
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 06:07:47 -0400

Is it just coincidence that among cultivars/seedlings that manage to live and bloom here that strong substance seems to nearly always be accompanied by open standards, crunched up form (flowers often have a hard time 'relaxing' and opening fully, falls often tucked)?

And width seems to mostly be accompanied by horizontal falls?

Part/most/all of the substance issue seems to be iris hell climate related, but I'm not sure how much or what to do about breeding more attractive blooms.

Just one example (of many), HIGH CHAPARRAL is blooming this year, and standards are wide open, falls are tucked. More noticeable on later blooms than the first one that opened. I'll try to get a photo. I remember HC being very beautiful in Portland with none of this look.

Most/many? of the storeboughts introductions from this century seem to have this trait & seem to be passing it along to a lot of my seedlings :-( I like better substance & width of the newer ones, but may go back to the older ones for overall appearance in the garden.

Linda Mann east TN USA zone7