We all work out a system that suits ourselves. However a common format
is year, cross, seedling. So the year may be recorded as 99 or a letter.
So for me
J253-16 would be the 16th seedling from the 253rd cross I recorded in 2005.
Other people may use numbers for each parent and then use suffixes to
indicate year and actual seedling.

It's a good idea to record your seedling in a searchable format. I use
Excel with columns for cross number, seedling number, pod parent, pollen
parent, date of cross, number of seeds in cross, plus additional columns
to record notes about each seedling. This way you can sort your columns
as you wish. I find it a helpful way to find out which were successful
parents, etc, or use the find function to locate a particular cross.
Other people seem to use geneology software.

Hope this helps