Re: HYB: orange pigment extraction refresher?
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: HYB: orange pigment extraction refresher?
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Sun, 01 May 2011 17:12:26 -0400

Thanks Chuck.

Hmm. Well, HoM seems to have yellow pigments that are not alcohol soluble. I think this stuff is supposed to be 70% alcohol. Works well on all the other petals that I've tried. Orange, peach, dark yellow/gold. I've been covering petals with alcohol in little juice glasses, putting glasses (with loose lid - inverted paper pr plastic cup) in bigger container of hot water. Turns liquid various intensities of yellow, depending on how dark the petal, leaves remainder either clear or pink. Beards usually either pink or tomato. Tho there was one that stayed dark gold - GOLDEN IMMORTAL X DOCTOR ALAN, I think. Or maybe it was Tea Leaves X Golden Panther..

So all the carotenoids are supposed to be alcohol soluble, only lycopene supposed to be insoluble in alcohol?

I'll try mashing it up in lamp oil, then repeat the alcohol separation, see what happens.

the water extraction is primarily to get rid of anthocyanins, right? These don't seem to have any.

No easy way to differentiate between alternate yellow and 'regular' yellow by simple extractions?

Rats.

So all I've been doing is determining whether or not there is any pink present - well, at least that worked ;-)

Linda Mann