Re: HYB: fall rebloom genetics
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: HYB: fall rebloom genetics
  • From: Chuck Chapman <irischapman@aim.com>
  • Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 07:51:21 -0400

 I checked daylength for March 8th for Porterville California. It was 11 hours
and 37 minutes.

March 8th is a guess as to start of flower stalk growth for their bloom end of
March.

So critical daylength  would seem to be about 11.5 hours of daylight.  I
checked for when I get 11 hours and 37 minutes of daylength  here. It would
have been about 3 days later, March 11th.  While I have some  SDB  blooming in
cold greenhouse, everything outside is just greening up.  Daffodils have just
started.

So,  difference in  timing of spring bloom would basically seem to have
nothing to do with daylength. So  we have to look at other factors. Such as
speed of growth, or timing of coming out of dormancy based on temperature
response.

Chuck Chapman